- 610 cm 3.2 cm 870 cm (Object)
- Object Description
- Located on the exterior of the Brock Hall Annex entrance, this mosaic was commissioned by the Graduating Class of 1958 for the new wing of the building. Through the use of symbol and colour, the mosaic represents the UBC faculties and departments through 54 separate blocks of varying sizes. Many of the symbols are easily decipherable, such as the one for Music, located at the top centre of the mural, which pictures a twelve-tone scale and ear. Others are more esoteric, such as the image in the square at the bottom right hand corner, which is an early Greek symbol for family and home, and in this context is meant to represent Home Economics. The Brock Hall Annex will be demolished in 2020 to be replaced by Brock Commons Phase II. The mosaic mural will be removed, refurbished and re-installed in a nearby location. It is anticipated the restoration will take a minimum of three-years to complete. To help inform this work, a cluster of 3 panels in the centre bottom has been removed for analysis by the conservator.
The mural was finished in 1960.
- Morris and Helen Belkin Art Gallery Permanent Collection
- Credit Line
- Commissioned by the UBC Graduating Class of 1958
- Related Exhibitions
Descriptions are works in progress and may be updated as new descriptive practices, research and information emerge. To help improve this record, please contact us.Contact Us